How to Edit Activity Details in Primavera P6
This article is about How to Edit Activity Details in Primavera P6. In this article we are trying to provide you good information about How to Edit Activity Details in Primavera P6. We have arranged the information in this post to make you understand it easily. We hope that you can understand it well. Please check the information below.
How to Edit Activity Details in Primavera P6
To display the Activities page, open the project or project group you want to work with, then click on the Projects toolbar.
Various options let you create customized chart views.
- Group activities to display summary bars that provide a quick glance at the overall schedule. The summary bar represents the time period from the earliest Early Start to the latest Early Finish for the group.
- Filter activities to create targeted chart views of the schedule, for example, milestones only.
- Sort activities to present their schedule bars in a specific order, based on the value of a data field you specify.
- Choose to chart progress, baseline or late dates, and identify critical activities.
Tip: The Activities page presents a combination table/chart view of project data. To hide columns and expand the Gantt chart to its maximum size, click and drag the vertical bar between the table and chart.
Group, filter, and sort activities
- On the Activities toolbar, click , then use the Grouping, Filters, and Columns tabs to select Gantt chart options as described below.
- When finished selecting your options, from the Activity Views menu ( ) on the Activities toolbar, choose Save View to preserve your changes or, to create a new view that reflects the changes, choose Save View As.
On the Grouping tab
- In the Level drop-down lists, select up to ten fields, or categories, to group activities. A summary bar will appear for each group you select. You can not group activities by more than one hierarchical field.
When you choose to group by a hierarchical field, such as activity code, the To Level drop-down list is available so you can choose the number of hierarchy levels you want to group by.
Tip: To create a view for managing the WBS, in the Level 1 drop-down list, select WBS and in the To Level drop-down list, select All.
- Specify the sort order for each group. Sort order for groups follows the same rules as described below for the sorting of activities. However, when grouping by a hierarchical field, an additional sort order option, Hierarchy, is available.
The Hierarchy option sorts groups based on the sequence defined for the hierarchical item, rather than using alphabetical or numerical sequencing. For example, with Hierarchy sort order, three WBS elements defined in the hierarchy as WBS a, WBS c and WBS b, would appear in bands replicating that sequence, but for Ascending sort order would appear as WBS a, WBS b, and WBS c.
On the Grouping tab, you can also choose options that apply to the Activity Table.
- For each group, select the background color and text color of the group heading row, or band.
- To display the group field name, followed by the field value in group heading rows, choose Show field title in band.
For example, if you choose to group activities by Early Start, the field name Early Start appears to the left of the date value for the group. If you do not choose this option, only the date value for the group appears in the band.
- To display group totals in heading rows for all cost, numeric, integer, start date, and finish date fields, choose Show field rollups in band.
Tip: Start date rollups reflect the earliest date for the group and finish date rollups reflect the latest date for the group. Unit and cost rollups are a total of the values for each activity in the group.
On the Filter tab
- Select a filter type.Choose Standard to select from predefined filters, such as Critical activities behind schedule or Milestones only.
Choose Custom to create a filter based on activity data fields and values you specify.
- Choose or create the filter.If you choose Standard, select a predefined filter from the drop-down list.
For the Activities Finishing Within Specified Days filter, be sure to specify a number of days.
The My Activities filter displays all project activities you are either assigned to as a resource or designated as the activity owner.
Tips: The Critical Activities Behind Schedule filter uses the project baseline to determine variance, identifying activities behind schedule. If no project baseline is assigned, the current project is used as the baseline, so no activities are displayed.
If you are a licensed Team Member, either assigned as a resource or activity Owner, applying the My Activities filter will have no affect on the activity list display because your access is already restricted to your assigned and Owner activities.
If you choose Custom
In the Select Filter Criteria drop-down list, choose to display activities that meet all or any of the specified criteria. If you select Any of the following, any activity that meets at least one of the filtering conditions will display in the Activity View.
To create a filter criteria statement, in the Parameter drop-down list, select a field. Next, select an operator from the Is drop-down list. In the Value field, type or select a value to complete the filtering criteria statement.
You can create up to five criteria statements for a custom filter. Click the appropriate icon to add or delete a criteria statement.
On the Columns tab
- To specify the order in which activity bars appear, use the Sort by drop-down list. The sort order applies to activities within groups and when they are not grouped. You can select from a wide range of sort fields categorized by type, for example, units, dates, or general data fields.
- Sort order can be ascending or descending.
- Text fields are sorted alphabetically.
- Numeric and date fields are sorted numerically or in calendar sequence.
- Checkbox fields, for ascending, are sorted as checked followed by unchecked.
- Activity status ascending sort order is Not Started, In Progress, and Completed.
- Indicator UDF fields, for ascending, are sorted in this sequence:
On the Columns tab, you can also choose options that apply to the Activity Table.
- Use the Show first column as option to select either activity name or activity ID as the stationary first column.
These are the only fields you can display in the first column. The first item that appears in the Selected Columns list will occupy the second column on the Activities page.
- In the Available Columns list, select the data fields you want to display, then click the arrow buttons to move them to the Selected Columns list and to specify their order.
The top-to-bottom order of fields in the Selected Columns list corresponds to the left-to-right display order of the columns on the Activities page.
Tip: You can display a maximum of 30 columns in the Activity Table.
Choose bar data, color, and label
- Click , then use the Bars tab to make your selections as described below.
- When finished customizing, from the Activity Views menu ( ), choose Save View to preserve your changes or, to create a new view that reflects the changes, choose Save View As.
On the Bars tab, in the Top Bar section
- Choose the color for the Current bar, which reflects the Start and Finish dates of the activity.
- To chart progress, or actual work, along the Current bar, mark the Show Progress checkbox. The blue Progress bar represents duration based on the actual start and remaining start dates.
- To represent critical activities with a red bar instead of the Current bar color you selected, mark the Show Critical checkbox.
On the Bars tab, in the Bottom Bar section
Choose to display a second bar representing either scheduled late dates or baseline dates and specify its color. Or, choose to display no second bar.
Tip: When you choose to display a Late bar, it does not appear on the Gantt chart unless the project has been scheduled.
In the Bar Label section
Customize the visual layout
Adjust the timescale
- To zoom the timescale so that all bars are in view, click .
- To quickly bring the bar for a particular activity or group into the display area, double-click in the chart area to the right of the activity or group row.
- To manually adjust the timescale, in the top section of the timescale header, click and release the mouse. Then, drag the horizontal arrow that appears.
- To change the timescale setting (for example, Quarter/Month), either right-click in the timescale header row or choose timescale increments from the Customize View Bars tab.
Show, hide, and resize items in the view
- To show or hide the Gantt chart, in the toolbar, click or , respectively.
- In a grouped view, to expand all summary bars Click . To collapse all summary bars, click . To expand or collapse individual summary bars, in the Activity Table grouping band, click the + or – in the first column.
- To resize the table and chart sections, mouse over the vertical bar that separates the sections, then drag to resize. The mouse cursor changes to a horizontal arrow when properly positioned anywhere along the vertical bar.
You can drag the bar to hide all table columns except the first.
- To expand the view to full screen, click . To return to the normal display, click again.This hides the browser and Primavera application interface elements not required in the view.
Edit activity dates
You can resize and move Gantt chart bars to easily modify an activity’s start or finish date, or to apply a constraint.
After changing activity dates by resizing or moving a Gantt bar, when you save your changes, the activity remaining duration is recalculated based on the new dates and the activity’s calendar. Because the calendar for the activity is applied when you save, a date you specified for an activity may change slightly if it occurs during calendar non-worktime. Also, if you move, but do not resize a Gantt bar, the duration may shorten or lengthen based on the activity calendar’s non-worktime.
Tip: In the Gantt chart, you can impose only a Start On or After constraint. You can apply other constraint types, as well as Secondary constraints, in the Activity Table and on the Activity Details Status tab.
To change a Start or Finish date
- Click on the activity’s Gantt bar; selection handles appear.
- Drag the start or finish selection handle to a new position along the timescale. The corresponding date column updates dynamically to reflect the new bar position.
- Click (Ctrl+S) to save your changes.
To apply a Start On or After constraint
- Position your mouse over the center of the activity’s Gantt bar and drag it to the new position along the timescale.
If displayed, activity date columns update dynamically to reflect the new bar position.
- Confirm that you want to apply a constraint to the activity for scheduling purposes.
If you choose the option to not show the dialog, it will not reappear until the next time you log in. Also, each time you drag a Gantt bar, your decision to add or not add a constraint will apply until you exit the application and log in again.
- Click (Ctrl+S) to save your changes. After you save, the start date column displays an asterisk.
So that is all about How to Edit Activity Details in Primavera P6. We think that it is good information about How to Edit Activity Details in Primavera P6. We hope that this information is useful for you. Please share if you think that this information can be useful for others. If you need more article related to How to Edit Activity Details in Primavera P6 you can simply subscribe this blog. Thanks for visiting and have a nice browsing. source: oracle.com