Jeddah Islamic Port History
Today, we will talk a little bit about Jeddah Islamic Port History. Here is the story :
Jeddah has many advantages as it is the most significant port in the western province used by many tribes for their marine trade. Also, Caliph Othman bin Affan used Jeddah as a port for Hajjis coming from different countries overlooking the Red Sea. Since then, Jeddah has become the only por receiving pilgrims. Jeddah port was named after this advantage as “Jeddah Islamic Port”.
However, this does not mean that the port is only used for receiving pilgrims, but also used for commercial purposes. Roughly, it is the only port in the western province for import and export goods to all over the kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Until 1951, this port was a small building, 14000m2, including administrative offices and warehouses. It does not have quays as this building was built far from the deep alloed for ships to dock it.
Sailboats, owned by some people of Jeddah “Ta’ifat Al-Ma’adi“, were used to load and unload cargos. In 1951, a quay was built on “Misfakah“Island, 180m length and 30m width. This quay can accommodate two ships. Also, administrative offices, warehouses, passenger reception lounge and another and another lounge for pilgrims were built.
The port had several expansions with forty-five quays in 1981. These quays were equipped with the latest equipment for loading and unloading cargos.
Today, the number of quays is 62, fully equipped with all needs required.
Credit : Mamlakati