Transferable Iqama Meaning? Find It Here!

This article talks about What is Transferable Iqama. When we are looking for a job in Saudi Arabia in gulftalent[dot]com or bayt[dot]com we find the words “Transferable Iqama”. This time, I want to explain about the meaning of Transferable Iqama.

Transferable Iqama means that the holder of the Iqama (employee) doesn’t have to work for the Kafeel (employer) which is stated in Iqama (marked with red rectangle in the picture below). So this Transferable Iqama holder can work in any company in Saudi Arabia in anywhere and anytime he/she wants. Below is a picture of non-transferable iqama.

04  Iqama Transferable Iqama

Usually, the Transferable Iqama holder having some agreements with the Kafeel to arrange the renewal of this kind of Iqama. Some people said that the Kafeel asks for SAR 12k per year or 3k per year, depends of the profession which is stated in the Iqama.

If you want to make this Transferable Iqama, please be careful. Recently the government of KSA forbid the issue of Transferable Iqama. The Iqama Holder must work under the Kafeel which is stated in Iqama. This Transferable can be considered as illegal practice, in some ways.

I hope this information useful. Please subscribe for updates or you may want to read these following articles :

  1. Saudi Arabia Family Visa Costs.
  2. Applying Visit Visa Saudi Arabia, Watch These Conditions Carefully.
  3. Apply Visit Visa Saudi Arabia.
  4. Minimum Salary to Apply Family Visa in Saudi Arabia.
  5. How to Pay Exit-Re Entry Visa in Saudi Arabia.
  6. Extend Visit Visa Saudi Arabia Online.
  7. How to Arrange Family Visa Saudi Arabia.
  8. Check Visit Visa Status Saudi Arabia Here!
  9. Exit Re Entry Visa Saudi Arabia, Print Here!
  10. Saudi Arabia Permanent Visa Requirements.
  11. How to Transfer Sponsorship in Saudi Arabia.
  12. Teaching English in Saudi Arabia.
  13. Iqama in Saudi Arabia, what is it? how to get it?
  14. Getting Saudi Arabia Driver License, another note based on expatriate’s experience.
  15. How to register a Marriage in Saudi Arabia.
  16. Download Saudi Arabia Labor Law.
  17. Saudi Iqama Status Check (Nitaqat Status : Red-Yellow-Green-Blue).
  18. Saudi Binladin Group End of Service Benefits.
  19. Working in a Different Position Against Iqama in Saudi Arabia.
  20. Saudi Arabia Traffic Violation Fines, The latest.
  21. Saudi Arabia Family Visa Costs.
  22. Are Saudi Arabians Sunni ?
  23. How Saudi Arabia was Formed.

Thanks for visiting, and please CMIIW.

Published by

Harbun G. Subekti

Born in Surakarta, Indonesia, now I'm living with my family in Jeddah, KSA. I studied Civil Engineering in Engineering Faculty of Universitas Sebelas Maret, Indonesia. I love blogging and running.

85 thoughts on “Transferable Iqama Meaning? Find It Here!”

        1. Bro, your company is in Green Zone, which means in a good condition, which means also that you can not transfer easily.
          But if you can talk to your manager in charge, you can transfer.
          Basically, all iqamas are transferable, the problem is the kafeel, if they let you go, you can go,…
          But when their zone is yellow or red, you can transfer without their permission.

          for more information, please read the related articles under the post above.
          I hope this answer help you

          1. SIR please give me some info…
            i ibrar from Pakistan i was working in Pakistan as Draftsman i have 3 years experience.
            where i am working that company call me as draftsman but now thy have give me job as electronics technician even i don’t know about electronics and thy are paying me 1200sar i am not happy i want to change that company my iqama also not transferable ….
            so what will you say about my problem…… any solution ?

          2. You should find any company which can issue you new visa. If you can find one, it will ask you to go exit, then you will come to Saudi Arabia again using new visa.
            Or, you can just go exit and find another better job using job agency in your country.
            goodluck, bro…

          3. Bro I have find but my company not accepting my exit thy are asking if youw want exit then u have to pay 5000 sar. Nd any other slution can I case against my company

          4. Bro, what is the reason they asked you SAR 5000 ?
            That is ridiculous.

            How many years have you been in that company?
            eh, by the way, what’s the name of the company?

          5. The name of company al hana trading group. Mentinance company. I have join 70 days ago to this company im new here and thy are not paying me still .
            I am draftman but in this company workings as labour.
            The reason of 5000 sar that im not completing my 2 years contract becz company not paying me im educated but company destroying my future.

            Can I get kafala easily or not?

          6. How did you end like that?
            How’s the contract?
            You should work same as contract.
            Working for 70 days without salary, means you have to call for Jawazat/Ministry of Labor/Police help.
            You can have naqil kafalah without their permission if in your first 90 days you can not get your iqama.

            Usually, if a person exit before his first 2 years, they will give penalty, but this rule is not fixed. Because I have friend who exit before 2 years and nothing happens.
            If you can’t get your right, check to Ministry of Labor.

            You can study the Saudi Arabia Labor Law in this link :

          7. Bro I have get iqama. But not yet salary nd my own field. If company don’t pay me within next 20 days then can I get kafala without my kafeel permission?

          8. You have the right to tell the police about this problem.
            It’s professional.
            But remember, please learn about the contract again.
            I hope you get what you want.

  1. What are the terms and conditions of transferable Iqama and what will be the cost of it? I need the full information about transferable Iqama.

    1. There is no specific terms or something related to Transferable Iqama.
      Please read the related posts also and the comments for further information.

      Iqama is actually all transferable, as long as the Kafeel allows you to transfer.

  2. hi there i am currently on a work visit visa for 90 days, this is my first month with this company, i heard from HR that i will not be getting an iqama :-( i have a husband and three children that i need with me. Can i apply now for another job and leave this recruiting company? What is the process and who can i approach to assist me. The recruiter as also kept my passport since i arrived over a month ago, what can i do, please assist me. ESL Teacher

  3. Dear Sir,
    My Original iquama was issued under zoraida steel as my kaffel , but after 2 years they transfer me with other company which operated by the same owner and changed my kaffel name in iquama under zoraida metal factories, is this conclude that my iquama is transferable? and able to leave the company and find another job in kingdom? please advice. Thanks

    1. We cannot transfer sponsorship if any of the following conditions exist :
      1. Traffic violations present against employee
      2. Traffic violations present against new sponsor
      3. The employee’s passport is expired.
      4. There is no approval for sponsorship transfer to new sponsor from the ministry of labor.
      5. The status of the employee is not “runaway”.
      6. No sufficient funds are available for services transfer
      7. The employee has valid exit re-entry or final exit

      Categorized sponsor rules for Sponsorship Transfer
      For sponsorship transfer – Non-Domestic Workers
      Allow ONLY sponsor with number of employees less than 100.

      The sponsorship transfer can be done as the following only :
      – From individual sponsorship to individual company sponsorship.
      – From individual company sponsorship to another individual company sponsorship.

      source :

      So, you can do that…
      I hope this is useful, good luck!

  4. Hi sir Harbun

    In 2008 my first company facing financial problem my employer gave me a release paper that gave me a chance to transfer to other company my question now can i get release paper again to my second employer after six year in service because I want to transfer to other company again in the kingdom . my 2nd question is my iqama transferable because my 2nd employer did not bring me here in saudi in the beginning.i hope you can help me.

    1. Yes, you can.
      But the cost of transfer will be higher.
      If the first transfer costed 2000 riyals, the second may be 4000 riyals.
      Usually, the new employer will cover 2000 only.
      If your new employer is big company, usually the will cover everything.
      good luck!

      1. Thanks for your reply.
        So it means I can transfer anytime to my 3rd employer without the objection and consent of my 2nd employer or I should ask my 2nd employer to give a no objection letter? Can you please give me also advice how to get again my release paper in my 2nd employer in good manner way?

  5. Hello Sir. I am new in Saudi Arabia. I would like to know whether my employer has green, red or yellow mark. Could you help me? Thanks.

  6. respected sir my name is Ali.
    Sir, one of my paternal uncle is working in Al-jubail, Now he send me a Visit Visa, can i work there on visit visa?if yes, let me know some of ways that i should prepare about it from my country itself……please let me know…….i completed my Masters in Computer Applications.But no Boundaries for work, I am ready to do any work….

  7. sir, thank you, your site has great flexibilities in providing answers….. keep informing….thank you onces again…

  8. Marhaban,sir, is it good to make my educational certificate attested before i go in search of job to Al-jubail on visit visa?or else, i shall get them afterwards?

    1. It’s a good idea Bro.
      But I have to tell you that the company you are going to work might not need it. If you have the original, it’s enough.
      For further process, government will ask about that.

      It’s not necessary, but if you can get you certificate attested,, get it.

  9. Hi Sir,
    I just want to take an advice from you, because now I’m still confused.. I’m a nurse here in Jeddah, I want to take my husband here.. but I dont know what is better, should I buy a free visa? I know its illegal but he can choose any work here if its free visa because some of the hospitals here they want transferrable iqama.. Or is it much better if Dependent visa(family visa?) It can be transfer also right Sir? Please give me an advice. Thank you so much..

    1. It’s always not a good idea to take free visa. It’s too risky.
      There is possibility that the free visa kafeel will play.

      I suggest you to take dependent family visa. SAR2000. With that, if your husband can find a job, he will be easily transfered with your permission. Because in this case, you are the kafeel.

      I hope this answer useful.

      1. thank u for ur reply Sir.. follow-up question Sir, If I dont want my employer to know that I will apply for the dependent visa and our HR will only know about this.. is it possible? or my employer will know because I read also in other blogs that to renew my iqama if there is dependent there will be additional payment. Is that true? because before my employer gave me a filled application form from Istiqdam to apply for family visa but I refused because he wants my husband to work for him also.. but I dont want because of small salary.. I want my husband to apply in other company. Can u pls advise for this?

        1. There should be no additional fee.
          The fee should be SAR 2000, some people who paid for additional fee, will pay SAR 100.
          Somehow I felt that your company gave you good deed when It overed your husband work, although it has small salary.
          Because some women in some conditions might not be able to arrange dependent visa.
          But, I support you if you want to bring him with your dependent visa. The company will know about this. It must know, because the manager will give recommendation letter.
          I wrote something about bringing family to KSA in this blog before.
          I hope this answer help you.
          If you have more question, please ask.

  10. Hi sir my friend from india his issue :- I have join to ksa 3.5 years ago but still I dnt have get my iqama. Now I want to go exit nd my company managment asking me that when u will receive ur iqama then we will send u. Now thy are not giving me exit nd also iqama but I want to go so tell me next process.

  11. Dear Sir,

    My employment contract with this will end this 01-October-2015 and my iqama will expired on 09-Sept-2015, do I need to renew first my iqama then request for my release? I’m having transferable iqama.

      1. Dear Sir,
        It’s means when it was renewed I can request for a release because i’m having a transferable iqama when i joined in this company. based on the employment offer it’s both renewal by both parties? It they will not sign my release to whom i will get help?

          1. I have an employment offer with them only,it’s written in the offer it’s “Renewal by both parties” what does it means if you finish your contract it’s up to you if you will renew it or not?

  12. Dear Sir,

    I’m having a transferable iqama and my contract with this company will end this October 2015, If they will not allowed me to release/transfer to whom I will get help? based on the offer which I signed it’s renewal by both parties and I’m not willing to renew my contract with this company.

    1. When you disagree to renew iqama, it means you want to resign.
      If you want to transfer to other company, discuss this politely with your HR Manager, after your iqama is renewed…

      1. Even if I’m having a transferable iqama i cannot transfer easily? based on the employment offer letter which I sign it’s stated that It’s renewal by both parties. but the problem will expire on September and my contract with them will end this coming october?

        1. We don’t know what is inside somebody’s heart…
          The kafeel can play…
          If you don’t renew your iqama, you can’t stay in this kingdom…
          If you want to continue the contract, you should renew your iqama…

  13. Dear Sir,

    can you advise me if what i will do, my contract will end this october 01, and my iqama will expired on first week of september. My contract offer stated that termination period is 2 months before i will go. but my iqama will expired on september.

  14. Good day,


    I’ve been reading your post and i find it very helpful please keep up the good work.
    My question is, I am currently under a 2 year contract in a green colored company and i want to transfer to another company. Is it possible to not finish my current contract and transfer my iqama to my new company? Will i need to exit the country and re-enter?
    i expect my current company to ask me to “bail” out my contract by paying them. I am fine with paying them as long as they allow me to transfer my iqama. Is there anything i need to watch out for during this period. If you have any comments or advise please do so. Thank you in advance more power.

    1. Hi Dax,
      Normally, you have to finish your contract first.
      The ability to transfer is depended on the will of your HR Manager. If he approve, you will be able to transfer.
      If your current company doesn’t want to release you, then new company should provide you visa. And you have to go back to your country first, then come again using new company visa.
      Negotiate with your manager, ask him for help.

      I hope this help you.

      1. Harbun,

        Thank you for replying. As to my understanding as long as my current company allows me transfer then i wont have any problem, is it correct?. Another question, if they didn’t allow me to transfer and my new company agreed and gave me a new visa, won’t i have some issue’s with the saudi goverment and get blacklisted for not finishing my current contract and exiting the country? or will my new visa cover for that problem? You are such a god send thank for your help.

        1. Dax,
          Yes, it is correct.

          If they didn’t allow you to transfer, you should resign and come again with your new company visa.
          This will not be a problem if you go exit in correct way. You have to request for exit, then the company approve it. Ask about No Objection Certificate (NOC) from your current company before you leave.
          There will not be any problems as long as you get approval to go exit (resign).

          I hope this helps.

          1. Thanks a lot Harbun, i never knew that i can request for an exit even though i am in the middle of my contract. But i hope that my company just allow me to transfer my iqama to my new company so i won’t need to exit the country. That would be much better. Thanks again. More power!.

  15. Sir,
    I do not have a iqama even after 100days. The company is in red.
    I would like to go on exit now, but my employer is not leaving me.
    What is the possibility of me getting an exit?

      1. Sir,

        Thanks for the reply.

        I do not want a transfer.
        I want an exit. I want to go back.
        Can you guide me in getting an exit.


        1. You can simply request for exit to your company,
          If you are not allowed to exit, actually, you have the right to exit. I think it’s in the Saudi Arabia Labor Law.
          You can ask Jawazat for advise.

          1. Sir,

            As I am new to this place, can you help me in getting an exit. I have asked my company, they are not giving me an exit.
            You can also guide me in contacting some person who can help me in getting an exit.


      2. Sir

        Thanks. As I am new to this place can you guide me in getting the exit. I have already asked my company and they are not giving me exit.
        Can you give me some contact info, whom I can contact for help.

  16. Sir good morning i will asked you again this questions my contract will end this october 01, 2015 and my iqama will expire on 09 september 2015. I have transferrable iqama. As stated in the offer letter which i signed from them you can submit your termination letter stating that you will not renew again your contract within the period of two months. My question is if i will submit my termination letter this august 01, 2015 do you think they will renew my iqama eventhough they know that i will be transfer to the company? because my iqama will expire first before my contract end with this company.

  17. Sir, if they will not renew my iqama how i get transfer to the other company. what does it means they will temporary give me iqama then the new company to whom i will transfer this is the one who will renew it?

    1. Gian,
      Actually, to be safe, it is better to renew the iqama, first…
      There is no guarantee that the transfer process will be fast…
      Temporary iqama is a letter that is given to you when your iqama is in renewal process.
      The jawazat officers do not consider this as iqama.

  18. Sir, how about after i renew my iqama you cannot call this termination letter already, when i submit this is resignation already since they renew already my iqama, even if im having a transferable iqama i cannot easily demand for a release?

    1. The temporary iqama is not strong enough.
      If the new company process is fast, it will not be a problem, if not, you will be just like illegal worker, which is dangerous for you.
      If Jawazat officers find you without your iqama, you will be sent for deportation.

      I have talked with a company representative who offers me nakeel kafalah, he told me that transfer / nakeel kafalah is quite taking time. Then he told me to request for release after I renew the iqama.

      Usually, after working for two years, the contract changes from “two years contract” to “as you wish contract”(or whatever the name is). This allows you to resign or transfer at anytime.

      1. Dear Sir

        I have not received salary for 3 months now. How do I get my salary now.
        Is there a way to get my salary please.



        1. The ideal way is to ask your higher manager about this.
          If not possible, go with your friends who get the same case in your company, gather friends as many as you can, ask the manager about the salary.
          If still not possible, you can report to police department or jawazat.

  19. I came to saudi with visit visa .my sponcer is my fathers kafeel said to me obtaining iqama for work in fathers kaffeel”s workshop
    its posible? or illegal

    1. If you are working here, in Saudi Arabia, you should change your kafeel. From your father to your company. If not, that will be illegal.
      There is possibility for you to change the kafeel.

Leave a Reply